Large Coloured Movable Copperplate Print of the Chitose-za Theatre with original woodblock printed sleeve
Wonderful piece of Meiji Japan ephemera showing in detail the Chitose-za Theater which first opened in 1873 as the Kisho-za Theatre and was renamed in 1885 when Kato Ichitaro saved the theatre from bankruptcy. It burned down in 1890 but has been rebuilt more than once over the years. Since 1893 it has been known as the Meiji-za Theater which still holds kabuki and performances today.
The print is actually two pages with one part that lifts up and shows the interior plan of the theatre.
Tokyo (Nihonbashi). Fukuda Eizo. 1884.
Copperplate printed and coloured single folding page. 50.5 x 36.8cm.
In almost fine good condition except for one small hole in the upper right area and one small, dark stain on the reverse side in the middle. The woodblock printed sleeve has a few small worm holes.